Monday, April 1, 2013

Aha! Someone reminded me that it's April Fool's day so don't forget to prank your friends. 
Once I put big plastic ants in a sandwich I got at a deli I visited everyday. I'd love to have a photo of the owner's face when I showed her the sandwich. It was a food professional's worst night-mere, but we had a good laugh about it later. 

My friend, local drummer/singer, Rick Collins, often heard at Waldo's, told me he would be playing at The Grove on 14th Ave Saturday evening, so my friend Cathy and I stopped in to hear him. I hadn't spent any time at this 'new' venue (the old Bodega Blue) since it was renovated, and I really enjoyed the place. It's a long format with a lengthy bar, tall tables line the wall and there is a nice sized stage near the front window. The barman was very pleasant and I especially liked the sign, "Be Nice or Leave." 

I soon learned that Rick was there to play drums for a blues band up from Ft. Lauderdale, the 'Pat Hunter Project'. Pat Hunter is a slim and shapely lady, wearing a captivatingly form-fitting blue dress. She was accompanied by bass player, Vesro Blann; Peter Feld on keyboards; and Ullyses on lead guitar, and of course, Rick Collins on drums. 

As soon at the band started up with something called 'Mercy,' right away they had me smiling with that moving, deep blues sound. Ulyses warmed the room with "Downhome Blues" and guitar and then Pat was up and singing  "I'm a Blues Girl," and she sure was! 

I loved her sense of humor, especially a song about "Robbing the Cradle," - one lyric was "get out of the way and let a boy do a man's job!" I found myself listening up close to the words as her voice was perfect for telling a good story. I also enjoyed,"Ain't No Sunshine When He's Gone"and "What a Difference a Day Makes." 

You can hear a more serious side to Pat Hunter at : 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIR75rdtVks

I also noticed that on Saturday, April 6th, The Grove has the Nicole Hart Band. I'll be sure to go and see what she's all about. 

Cathy and I wanted to get in a little 'ballroom' dancing so we zipped over to the V.B.Elks Club to hear Marschall Van Doren. There was a large dinner crowd and we joined dancers on a busy dance floor. Marschall always has a great party energy, and everyone enjoys his keyboard and vocals.

(Live music is subject to last minute changes. To be certain, call the club to confirm talent and timeSee green toolbar above.) 

Monday, 4/1 


>Dockside Bar and Grill - Kent Taylor Brown, 6-9 (Some dancing) Every Mon.
    
  >Blue Star - Rich Hall Sound, (jazz) 7 - 10 

> American Bar and Grill - Karaoke w/Blueberry Hills, 6 -9 Every Mon.

> Cobalt Club - Jazz group, 7:30 - 10:30. (Dancing) Every Mon.

>Havana Nights - Piano and vocals, 6 -9 (and on)  (Dancing)  Every Mon.
   
Tuesday, 4/2
     
    > YNOT Club - Kent Taylor Brown, 6:30 - 9:30 (Dancing!) Every Tues.
     
    > Kelley’s Irish Bar & Deli - Wanda’s Karaoke,  7 -11 (Dancing) Every Tues.
     
    > Patio Restaurant - RiverRats - 7:30 - 9 or later  Every Tues.

   >Havana Nights Piano Bar - Piano and vocals, 6 - 9  (Dancing) Every Tues.


  > Blue Star - M.J. Wicker, (acoustic guitar) 7-10


  > 



MS benefit: "Tricia, we saw you at Kelley's Pub and told you about our fundraiser for MS that is taking place on April 7th from 3 to 6 PM at the Grove Isle Main Clubhouse.  Tony Schillizzi has offered to perform gratis at this event.  We love his music and are sure it will be a great time.  We provide snacks and food and iced tea but it is a BYOB.  We are asking attendees to make a contribution to the MS Society-checks made to MS."











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Appreciate it.

Cultural Council of Indian River County

Cultural Council of Indian River County
Join the Musicians Registry