Sunday, January 20, 2013

A breezy, mild Sunday morning and I'm thinking about my musical ventures of Saturday evening. 

It was raining when I left the house at 7pm to go hear Kent Taylor Brown at the Vinz (Vines) wine bar on A1A, near the Beach Market. I was afraid I would be one of a sparse few daring to venture out, especially since Vinz entertainment is held outside in the arcade though well covered from the elements. Imagine my surprise to see all tables full and nearly every comfy chair and sofa occupied by a music lover! Kent is such a draw, people come from near and wide to hear his mellow and varied sounds on keyboard, sax and flute. 

I was impressed with the way owner, Zandra Simm, has created a charming interior bar and exterior 'sitting room' ambiance. Zandra is that attractive lady, always beautifully dressed, cruising through to see if patron's food and beverage needs are being met. 

Needless to say, I would have liked to stay 'til 10pm, I was enjoying talking with Emmy, Kent's wife and her dad, Major. Dottie was also there, always a great conversationalist, along with one of her friends, but I'd promised to check out another venue on the mainland before the night was over. 

Nice to see, the patio downtown was also booming! Many diners throughout and from the back bar I heard live music. There was the now infamous, Johnny Nick on keyboard. Nearby was a singer friend, Tony something, Johnny likes to call him Tony Spumonti as a joke.Must be something Italian, wouldn't you say?  I'll get his last name when I go hear "Tony and Holly's Timeless Music' gig one of these evenings. 
Johnny sang and sang, everything from "Rocket Man" to "Georgia On My Mind," and then, invited me up to 'practice' a few with him. Can't hurt. I was happy to see that tip jar filling up as people came by to thank him for honoring their requests.  

Here is a tip I got from a musician and music lover, Frank Gavin: 

The band, Low Key will be performing at the Blue Star wine bar on Tuesday, January 22nd from 7:30 to 10pm. Bob Martens on mandolin and Eric Olson on guitar and vocals; should be an interesting first appearance for them there. The Blue Star is on Bougainvillea, just behind and north of Cravings on the island.

See you all at the 'jam' at 4:30 at the Vero Beach Vets. Here's earlier info about the jam:
Most Sunday's,  be sure to go to the Vero Beach Veterans to enjoy the 'jam' with Kent Taylor Brown and all the musicians who sit in with him, and the singers who step up to the mic. Starts at 4:30 until 8:30, located off US 1 at 26th street, just over the railroad tracks.  


  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Appreciate it.

Cultural Council of Indian River County

Cultural Council of Indian River County
Join the Musicians Registry